The mission of the Chicago Public Schools American Indian Education Program is to ensure that each American Indian and Alaska Native child within CPS has equal access to educational opportunities. We are federally grant funded and offer our services through Chicago Public Schools Department of Office of Language & Cultural Education (OLCE).
CPS American Indian Education Program will:
- Support direct services to Native American students identified as needing academic support in reading and math through after school tutoring and a summer academic program;
- Develop and implement a professional development program for teachers of Native American students;
- Provide a series of workshops designed for parents of Native American students focusing on CPS initiatives and educational opportunities;
- Collect and monitor ED 506 Certification Forms for CPS Native American students;
- Promote high school graduation, enhance achievement, and nurture success of Native American students;
- Design academic and cultural programs to engage participants, measure student’s academic performances, teach basic Native culture, and create community among our Indigenous students from different areas of the city of Chicago.
Ensuring No American Indian and Alaska Native Child Is Left Behind
The mission of the Office of Indian Education is to support the efforts of local educational agencies, Indian tribes and organizations, post-secondary institutions, and other entities to meet the unique educational and culturally related academic needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives so that these students can achieve to the same challenging state standards as all students.
The No Child Left Behind Act amends the Indian education programs as Title VI, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. This landmark in education reform embodies four key principles:
- Stronger accountability for results;
- Greater flexibility in the use of federal funds;
- More choices for parents of children from disadvantaged backgrounds;
- An emphasis on research-based instruction that works.
All American Indian and Alaska Native students enrolled in Chicago Public Schools must complete an ED 506 form to be eligible for services under the Title VI Indian Education Formula Grant Program.